치 (癡)

I like a good Hanja. Like a fine wine, I savor a sweet bouquet of Korean prose. 치 is a like really short poem that makes me smile. When you fail at something, stick to a few of these 치 (癡) examples. Be generous with the translations as they really aren't 1:1:

길치 no sense of direction
음치 tone-deaf, can't carry a tune to save one's life
몸치 can't dance; clumsy
박치 have no sense of rhythm, tempo


여기가 어딘 지 모르겠어. 길치니까 여기 못 찾아 올거야.
I have no clue where I am now. Since I have no sense of direction, looks like I can't find my way back here again.

응? 노래 한 곡 해봐라고? 안되요, 저 음치예요.
Huh? You want me to sing a song? No way. I can't carry a tune to save my life.

그는 몸치여서 항상 사람들과 부딪힌다.
He's so clumsy that he's always bumping into people
너 몸치구나. 매튜야, 좀 더 유연하게 춤을 춰야지.
Wow you really can't dance. Matthew, you should dance more smoothly.

박수를 치면서 왜 이렇게 박자를 못 맞추니. 박치도 아니고 말이야.
Why can't you keep the beat while you're clapping? Don't you even have a sense of tempo?

The last two examples are similar. Take a look at how they differ. 몸치 refers to someone who has no sense of 동작 while 박치 refers to someone who can't hold 박자. Think of one of those kids back in junior high that tried to drum on their desk with a pencil but failed miserably but were pleasantly unaware of how bad it sounded. Those kids are 박치. I'm more of a 몸치 kind of guy because I'm both clumsy and can't dance.

동작 movement, gesture, motion
박자 time, beat


*Thanks to 석진 of TTMIK for clarification