애교 & 내숭

Sorry for those who already read this back in May; apologies from a repost indeed.

I scoured over a few posts recently that I wanted to direct your attention to: 애교 and 내숭 are hot topics no matter your nationality or gender. A curious little thing, isn't it? For the uninitiated, 내숭 is acting introverted, shy and/or modest in the attempt to seem more desirable. The nuance is that it is (understandably) a personality incongruity. 애교 is a forced cute change of speech in order to either get something from the opposite sex or to seem more childlike. Similarly, 애교살 is that puffy under-eye look that 하지원 and 구혜선 sport so prominently.

Gots plenty of links for you. I'll just dump them by host: The Grand NarrativeKelly in Korea and The Joshing Gnome (part 1 of a 5 part series).

So what do I think? I don't have much to say other than I actually like 애교 when it's directed at me and when I hear it from anyone other than my wife I want to kill innocent cuddly forest animals in an effort to stop the cuteness overload. Really though it's too much sometimes. Like all vices (and yes, 애교 is indeed a sinful vice) it is best used in moderation. Used sparingly, it's charming. Used in regular speech, it's annoying as all get out and demonstrates a prolonged sense for attention and forced frailty. 내숭 is a bad habit that needs to be stopped. Cold turkey. Now. Oh and 애교살 is creepy looking. Just saying.

So, Korean women of the world, just speak normally when not flirting and no puppies will be hurt. Thanks.