KGYSAK: 씩 vs. 식

A piece of cake. 씩 is a piece of something. like saying "a piece" "per" or "만큼" and is used with money a lot.

우리 아이에게 만원씩 줬어
I gave each of my kids ten dollars.
I gave my kids ten dollars a piece.

조금씩 먹어라
eat nice and slow; chew your food (piece by piece)

보통 하루에 네 번씩 식사를 해요
I usually eat four times a day.

저는 날마다 10시간씩 근무해요
I work 10 hours a day.

한 학생에 사탕 두 새씩 줬어요
I gave two pieces of candy to each student.

한 주 다섯 번씩 운동해요
I work out five times a week.

가끔씩
sometimes


식 (式) is much more versatile and is used much more frequently. The form that was getting me confused with the spelling was the ~식 that stands for "ceremony" or "way"

결혼식
wedding ceremony

미국식으로
American way

졸업식
graduation ceremony

장례식
funeral

성찬식
communion

이런식으로...
this way

3 Responses to “KGYSAK: 씩 vs. 식”

Jibril said...

I think you mean 결혼식 (not 셜혼식) and 졸업식 (not 졸업깃).

Anyway, I can think of a few other words I've learned: 장례식 (funeral), 성찬식 (communion), and the ubiquitous "이런식으로..." (this way).

Matthew Smith said...

Thanks so much for the corrections! I have no clue what I was typing. It was pretty late when I wrote the draft... what I can say? ㅋㅋ

Andreas Weber said...

I’m from West Texas, and I was among a few others victim who lost hard earned money to a Forex Scam, I had invested in a broker firm to the extent that I could not afford it because this broker firm kept demanding more money whenever it is time to withdraw profits. I was lucky to have detected the foul play on time, unfortunately I had already lost $931,795 worth of Bitcoin, Ethereum to this broker firm.
After going to the authorities with no progress whatsoever, my lawyer directed me to a recovery agent who took over my case discreetly and began to trace and follow where the money has been laundered to, fortunately for me, this recovery team was able to trace and recover a huge chunk of my money, through blockchain technology. I was very pleased with how they handled my case and helped me gained my confidence back. Their contact information is Morphohack@CyberServices.Com